Emergency Rental Assistance Program (Additional Assistance)
California passed SB91 approving $2.6B in emergency rental and utility assistance. Applicants can receive help for past-due rent and utilities. Each county has allotted a different funding amount and way to administer their program. 3CE Customers can visit the state site to find which entity is running their program and receive more resources: Housing Is Key (ca.gov)
Who Can Apply: Landlords with income-eligible renters experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 with past due rent. Renters who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 have past due rent or utilities and have a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income.
How Much Rent Relief Will I Get: Landlords can get reimbursed for 80% of past due rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent. Eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate may still apply on their own and receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, through a direct payment to their landlord. If a landlord refuses direct payment, the 25% can be paid to the renter to pay missed rent to their landlord by June 30, 2021. Paying 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021, can help keep renters in their homes under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91.
How do I Apply: To check eligibility requirements, apply or find a Local Partner Network organization that can assist you further, visit HousingIsKey.com or call 833-430-2122. You can also find your county’s emergency rental assistance program link to the left.
Monterey County Emergency Rental Assistance Program Webpage
Santa Barbara County Emergency Rental Assistance Program Webpage
Santa Cruz County Housing is Key Webpage
San Luis Obispo County Rental Relief Resources Webpage
San Benito County Emergency Rental Assistance Program Webpage (Pending Information)